WANT TO JOIN OUR TEAM?
Our business runs on talent. Our locally-owned center is part of a network of nearly 300 locations in the U.S. and Canada, meaning our local staff can call on the experience and support of similar professionals to learn, share and grow in their careers.
We offer great benefits and an atmosphere where good work and talent are recognized and rewarded.
Interested in working for us? Use the form below to get in touch.
Allegra Marketing Print Mail Albany is looking to add to our team!
Purpose of Position:
The Graphic Designer/Prepress Technician is responsible for producing all prepress graphics, design and layout work in compliance with job specifications. This person must schedule workloads to meet customer time requirements. They will perform daily and weekly file storage and system maintenance on equipment to ensure optimum productivity. They will troubleshoot their system as necessary. This person is a vital part of the overall customer service provided and will assist the inside and outside sales staff to educate clients on services available.
- Minimum of 2 years education in graphic design and advertising.
- Minimum of 1 year of practical experience in graphic design.
- Minimum of 1 year of print production experience.
- Comprehensive background, understanding, and experience with Macintosh or PC and software applications, such as: PageMaker, QuarkXPress, Microsoft Office, InDesign, Acrobat, Microsoft Publisher, Illustrator, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Photoshop.
- Knowledge of PDF and postscript files and PDF plug-ins.
- General knowledge of utility programs such as file compression, disk repair, print spoolers, PC to Mac, and Mac to PC conversion processes.
- Ability to prepare files for output to film, plate, spot and 4-color process, receive and manipulate files electronically and maintain operating system on production machine.
- Ability to send files on the image setter, high-speed digital copiers and color copiers.
- Experience in job stripping, paste-up and book pagination.
- Ability to move freely throughout the building to gather information, materials and authorizations.
- Meet or exceed minimum test results as specified by hiring manager.
- Customer Service:
- Sell graphic design services to customers.
- Assist sales associates/customer service representatives on educating clients on methods of accepting digital files.
- Educate customers on capabilities and proper file construction.
- Work with service bureaus and other outside suppliers as necessary.
- Operation and Maintenance of Equipment:
- Operate prepress equipment — Macintosh or Windows. Includes CPU, monitor, removable media/external hard drive, modems, etc.
- Operate scanner.
- Operate laser printer and other output devices.
- Clean and maintain all equipment.
- Operation of Software:
- Use of Macintosh or Windows operating system.
- Use of PageMaker, QuarkXPress.
- Use of Illustrator, Freehand or Corel Draw.
- Use of Adobe PhotoShop or other image manipulation software.
- Use of word processing software.
- Knowledge of platform and file conversion processes.
- Knowledge of utility programs such as file compression, disk repair, print spoolers, etc.
- Prepress Supply Inventory:
- Maintain Macintosh/Windows, software and printer supplies.
- Purchase/order items as needed.
- End of Day Procedures:
- Dispose of waste materials in compliance with EPA standards.
- Schedule next day’s work.
- Daily recording of production — use of Prepress Production Log.
- Monitor quality on all prepress work.
- Maintain clean and organized Graphics area.
- Participate in daily production meetings.
- Abide by center policies/procedures as outlined in the employee
- Assist on Front Counter.
- Answer Phones and Route Calls.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. You will be expected to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested by your supervisor. Position is located in the Capital Region of New York. Work schedule generally 9 to 5, M-F. Part-time (20 to 25 hours) to start with potential for full time in the near future. Salary/wages negotiable.
Candidates should email a cover letter with a resume and salary history to:
No phone calls please. For information about our company go to www.allegraalbany.com. We are an equal opportunity employer!